Do your homework before you build or remodel your home.
Use this checklist to select a contractor you can trust with your biggest investment and most valuable asset.
- SIBA Member. Is the contractor a member of the Southwestern Indiana Builders Association? Membership in professional organizations is a way for contractors to invest in their professionalism.
- Is the contractor licensed? This is required in Vanderburgh County, and can be confirmed at the Building Commissioner’s office.
- Workers’ Comp & Insurance? Can the contractors provide proof of Workers’ Compensation and General Liability Insurance? If not, you may be liable for construction-related accidents on your premises. Reputable contractors encourage customers to ask for this.
- Talk To Previous Customers. Will the Contractor provide you with names of previous customers? If so ask them key questions. If not, watch out!
- See Examples of Work. Have you seen the contractor’s work, both completed and in progress? Check for quality of workmanship and materials.
- Check Business Reputation. Does the contractor have a good reputation with banks, suppliers, and other builders? These can be good references for a contractor’s business practices.
- Get A Contract. Will the contractor provide you with a complete and clearly written contract? We strongly encourage you to insist on this.
- BBB Complaints? Have you called the Better Business Bureau? They can alert you to any outstanding complaints against bad contractors.
- Clear Communication. Are you able to communicate well with the contractor? Misguided expectations cause the most complaints by customers.